seerene-customers-deutsche-post-headquarter

Deutsche Post AG

  • Industry: Logistics
  • Revenue: €55 billion
  • Employees: ca. 435.000
  • Headquarters: Bonn, Germany
  • Dr. Oliver Zeiler, CTO & Product Development E-Post
  • Industry: Logistics
  • Revenue: €55 billion
  • Employees: ca. 435.000
  • Headquarters: Bonn, Germany
  • Dr. Oliver Zeiler, CTO & Product Development E-Post

Summary
“With seereneTM, we have managed to make tall, red high-rise buildings shorter and slimmer. The level of complexity has been reduced and, as a result, developers no longer spend so much time working on the system,” Zeiler noted.

 

With seereneTM, E-Post Now Able to See into Its Software

Challenge:
The very nature of software makes it hard to showcase success. Well-developed software is intuitive and, thus, subtle in its art. How can the IT department communicate and demonstrate the positive effects of their work if success often means the final result is invisible?

E-Post, a division of Deutsche Post AG, was looking to migrate application development to agile processes, break up unwieldy code components and expand test coverage massively. They needed both the information to complete this process and the analytics to prove their actions were worthwhile once finished.
Solution:
For E-Post CTO Dr. Oliver Zeiler, the solution was Seerene’s software maps. Before he joined E-Post, Zeiler was the CTO at ImmobilienScout24, where he led a two-year architecture-improvement program. In that role he relied on seereneTM to fill the knowledge gap between technical and non-technical staff and convince management of the need for change using visualization.

“It is very illuminating for management to see which parts of the code require constant modification,” Johannes Bohnet, managing director of Seerene. Those areas typically contain most risks and demand the largest spend of time and resources.

seereneTM maps display application landscapes as a cityscape, with city blocks and color-coded buildings representing different aspects of code. This visualization allows developers to work more efficiently on code and explain the need for modernizing applications to non-technical senior management. It gives them the resources to prove that fixing the problem from the ground up is a better long-term play than patching problems sporadically.

“Software development is similar to urban development,” notes Bohnet. “In both fields a good overview of the architecture, of the hot spots and productivity drains, is essential.”

seereneTM takes in a host of real-time data, including source code and versioning systems. It also runs tests and tracks workload and bugs. Equipped with this data, seereneTM then gives users an overview of the state of their IT, identifying risky situations in the making and suggesting where additional tests could minimize risk. The platform makes it easy to see how restructuring an application has solved problems or reduced IT workload.

For managers, seereneTM provides added transparency into effort and money spend. The in-depth data on applications, program elements and modules helps managers understand where time and money are going and whether the usage makes sense.

“It’s said that developers spend around 80 percent of their time just understanding the code, and the other 20 percent is free time to develop new things, make modifications or fix bugs,” said Zeiler. “The fewer complexities you have in the code, the faster developers can understand and advance it.”
Summary:
The seereneTM advanced analytics platform enables E-Post developers to process complexity and move projects along. With seereneTM the IT team is able to immediately spot areas where the quality of the code needs to be improved.

“With seereneTM, we have managed to make tall, red high-rise buildings shorter and slimmer. The level of complexity has been reduced and, as a result, developers no longer spend so much time working on the system,” Zeiler noted.

View our other featured customer success stories:

Pin It on Pinterest